Goals need to be SMART if they are to be achieved. Most of you know this already but for those that don’t, SMART goals are:
- Specified – written down and clearly defined
- Measurable – defined in terms of time, kilos, dollars etc, so you know when you have achieved the goal
- Achievable – you need to be able to set down the steps you will have to take to reach the goal
- Realistic – don’t be unrealistic; the goal has to be within the realm of possibility
- Time-bound – this is the deadline part of the goal; always decide when you will achieve it by or it could stretch on for eternity!
Do your goals meet the SMART criteria? If not, have a quick rethink and make sure they do, so you can start achieving more in 2014.